If you have been following the development cycle of WordPress over the last few months, you will have noticed the significant decrease in terms of time to ship newer versions. The company seems to be doubling down on the development process to incorporate and catch up with all the new design metaphors and styles out there. While WordPress is tremendously popular and rightly so, there was a distinct feeling that the blogging and website framework wasn’t cutting edge anymore. With this release of 3.8 AKA Parker, the team seems to have addressed this.
Here’s what’s new:
1. A completely redesigned admin dashboard which looks slick, modern and aesthetically pleasing.
2. Focus on typography on the dashboard and internals sections.
3. The contrast that they have achieved in the display is going to make the process of creating in WordPress a much more pleasant experience than before.
4. This new release ditches the use of pixels and focuses on vector based icons which scale based on the screen size. This results in faster page load speeds.
5. You can now choose from 8 different colors for the admin dashboard to suit your preference.
6. Improvement to theme screen which now lets you flip through themes using your keyboard. Widget management has also got a facelift and now stack up responsively according to the device.
7. The company has also announced the new default theme called Twenty Fourteen which transforms your blog into an responsive online magazine.
Download Link | WordPress 3.8