After becoming the third largest smartphone market, India has now become world’s third largest online population after China and US, according to a latest report by ComScore. The report – India Digital Future in Focus 2013 – examines latest trends in web usage, online video, mobile & search, social media usage and e-commerce growth that is shaping the Indian digital marketplace.
With a 31% year-on-year increase, India’s online population grew to 73.9 million, thereby surpassing Japan by adding 17.6 Million users in the past year. Of the total 644 million home and work Internet users in Asia-Pacific as of March 2013, China accounted for a lion’s share of 54 per cent followed by India (11.5 percent), Japan (11.4 percent), Southeast Asia (9.6 percent) and rest of APAC (13.5 percent).
Here are some key insights about the report:
- India has the youngest skewing online population among BRIC countries,with 75 percent of its Internet users under the age of 35.
- Women comprise 39 percent of the Indian Internet population, but they also spend less time online than men. However, women between 35-44 are heaviest users Internet users across Age/Gender groups.
- Retail is on the rise – 60 percent of web users in India visit online retail sites.As per the report, the local retailer Myntra shows highest growth and leads the category whereas Highest Per-User Engagement is on Flipkart.com. In terms of retail sub categories, Apparel topped the list, followed by Computer and Electronics sites, and Comparison Shopping.
- The Indian blogging audience grew 48 percent in the past year to 36 million visitors, while 26 percent of category traffic comes from mobile phones and tablets.
- 54 million internet users in India watched online videos on their computer, representing a 27-percent increase over the past year.
- Social networks usage is the highest among all other categories with 25 percent of all user time spent on it.
- Facebook continues to be the favourite social network with an Increase of 28% in its visitors in the last 12 months. As per the report, on an average a user spent approx. 217 minutes on Facebook. Professional social network Linkedin and Micro blogging site Twitter were at number 2 and 3 respectively. The report also said that Pinterest and Tumblr are the fastest growing networks.
- Email, Instant messaging and related services also take up about 23 percent of user’s time as compared to 16 percent globally.
- Among the most visited web properties in India Google was most popular with 69.4 million unique visitors followed by Facebook which had 59.7 mln Indian users. Yahoo (38.9 mln), Microsoft (31.3 mln) and Wikipedia (24.9 mln) were the top 5 websites visited by Indians.
- Non-PC traffic in India zooms ahead, grows from 10.9% to 14.2% in 2013
- India is now the 4th largest audience of searchers in the world. Unique searches in India grew by 28%.
You can download the entire report from here.