Telugu movie Brindavanam is the latest Indian movie to be used phishers to dupe people into parting with their personal details. Symantec has informed us that phishers are now using the Brindavanam content (images and movie plot) to target gullible people.
The thumbnail shows an image of a musical number and asks users to login to watch the video. After you put in the login information you are directed to the original site where you are shown the video. In short, users will never even have a clue if they have been phished and their personal information stolen until something drastic happens. Information like this can be used for multiple offences like financial fraud, identity theft, defamation etc. Symantec has also informed us that the phishing site is hosted on a server in Montreal, Canada.
The reason behind choosing this movie seems to be its popularity and lack of awareness about these scams among Indian Internet users.
Symantec has listed a few safety practices that users may follow to avoid phishing attacks.
· Do not click on suspicious links in email messages
· Do not provide any personal information when answering an email
· Do not enter personal information in a pop-up page or screen
· Ensure the website is encrypted with an SSL certificate by looking for the padlock, “https”, or the green address bar when entering personal or financial information
· Update your security software frequently (such as Norton Internet Security which protects you from online phishing)