Investing in early stage companies since 2008, Rehan has led over 15 early stage investments as Seed, Series A and Series B investor. He is currently part of 7 boards as a member/ adviser/observer. Publicly recognised investments include Druva, Ola Cabs, Sapience, Reach Accountant, Pretty Secrets, Cherish Maternity and Jigsee. Rehan is a board member of the Indian Angel Network, India’s largest & only pan India angel network; and a founder of it’s Mumbai Chapter. Rehan is also a member of Harvard Angels and lead their initial investment in India.
A career entrepreneur, starting his 1st business in university, he has over 20 years of entrepreneurship experience. His passion for entrepreneurship and early stage investing sees him as a regular speaker at startup events; addressing students of premier institutes, IIT, INSEAD, etc; and writing articles/interviews for online publications.
These are the 5 trends to watch out in Digital Space in 2013 according to Rehan.
1. The emergence of speciality ecommerce sites: Speciality sites can offer a deeper collection of products with a more involved community feel, thus driving patrons from broad horizontal sites. In the US Wayfair.com which is a online homestore is a $600M business and Karmaloop.com selling street style fashion is $200M business – India too specialty sites like Prettysecrets.com selling lingerie, FirstCry.com selling baby products and FabFurnish.com will be sites that will be hot with users.
2. Video on mobile: We are expected to reach 500 Million phones with a 4″ screen by 2015, this number could be around 100 Million+ by end 2013. Increasingly mainstream content broadcasters will be conscious of this massive audience and will start delivering their content for mobile consumption.
3. SaaS Applications Mobile enabled: Traditionally SaaS applications have worked well on computers and laptops and their usage has largely been designed for deskbound people. The new generation of SaaS applications will cater to workers on the move, such as supervisors in factories who have to walk about to monitor quality; or bus conductors who will now be able to process tickets from centralized servers. SaaS will go mobile.
4. Big Data analysis will start becoming important: Big data is the big picture that is around us. It lies in opinions on Twitter, on Likes in Facebook, on tags in Instagram, on the prices of products on websites and so on. Making sense of this and using it to drive business decisions will become important. Several startups will emerge that will crawl and crunch this data into crisp reports to help with business decisions.
5. The realisation that online is not everything: At the end of the day, the Digital world will probably touch close to 100M people actively at the end of 2013. E – commerce companies and other services which began online will realize that if they have to grow big and become dominant players they will have to go offline to address the 1 Billion not yet online. We are already seeing stores by FirstCry.com and Kiosks by iBibo.com, this trend will continue and will attract more online players to start offline points of presence!
Rehan will be speaking on the panel titled ‘Startup Marketing – Breaking the clutter and creating a brand’
Registration Link: WATSummit2013 | Venue: The Orchid Hotel, Mumbai | Date: 15th February, 2013
For more information, please get in touch with