Google has a long history of giving things away for free. For an organization whose core value is ‘Don’t be evil’, this is not at all that surprising. Google makes its money primarily from advertising and give almost all its products free of charge. There cannot be a better ‘win-win’ model than this. Getting to the point, small and medium size businesses can actually get lost in the crowd which is composed of giant corporations.
How do you break through the clutter if you own a small business? Normally, a lot of back-breaking hard work is put into scaling a business. Wouldn’t it be easy if someone helped you with your business website, put your organization on its listings and helped people discover you better through the power of the Internet and social media? This is where Google steps in. Today, Google announced its new program for small and medium businesses (SMB) which is called ‘India get your business online’.
Like we discussed earlier, there are so many barriers that SMBs have to overcome before they can achieve a breakthrough. This new initiative seeks to help SMBs break these barriers. Google wants to bring 500,000 small businesses Online in the next 3 years through this program. SMBs can go to www.indiagetonline.in and easily set up their business presence Online within minutes. The best part is that you will get free hosting for one year courtesy Hostgator.
This is a very sweet deal for anyone but it doesn’t stop there! Here is a full list of the features from Google India’s blog post.
- Free: It’s free to set up your website. The domain is free for 1 year, and it’s free to maintain your website for 12 months.
- Quick: The website tool takes 15 minutes from sitting down to being found online
- Easy: You don’t need to be a tech whiz to get started. All you need to start is your address, phone number, TAN/CIN or PAN to verify you as a business.
- The website is simple because customers are looking for simple information online
- Gives you your own .in domain
- Other features include photos/logos, integration with social media platforms
- You get a Google Apps account – free personalized email ids.
- If you want to make your website work harder, you will have access to steady stream of free tips and tools from the Getting Indian Business Online team and a free coupon of worth Rs. 2500 INR advertising trial from Google AdWords to help promote your site.
- After the first year, SMBs can choose to pay a monthly pay-as-you-go to maintain their website using Hostgator. At the end of the first year, they have to pay a nominal charge if they wish to renew their domain name. They can cancel their website at any time.
Have you got a small business or do you know someone who has? Let them know about this offering as soon as you can.