The Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI) has released statistics on the GSM Subscriber Base for the month of September 2011. India’s Telecom Sector has been seeing extraordinary growth month by month, and this month was no different.
Here are some interesting and relevant statistics from the Report:
- As of September 2011, there are a total of 618.28 million GSM Subscribers
- Out of these, 6.52 Million new subscribers were in September 2011
- This comes to a stunning 2 Lakh new subscribers per day!
- Biggest Winner in number of new subscribers: Uninor with 1.92 Million
- Market Leader: Bharti Airtel with 172.79 million subscribers
Uninor coming in first place will come as a surprise for many, as conventionally it was the larger operators who were amassing new subscribers the fastest. Idea too got an impressive 1.72 Million new subscribers. Compared to them, Telecom Giants Airtel and Vodafone added 0.935 and million and 0.848 million new subscribers respectively.
You can download the report in its entirety from here.