One of the biggest revelation of the census this year unveiled the eBay Census Guide 2011 at Mumbai has regained its position as India’s second largest eCommerce hub. Mr. Kashyap Vadapalli, Director-Category Management, eBay India, unveiled the 4th edition of the annual eBay Census Guide which documents the key trends in online buying, importing, selling & exporting across Indians in the Top 20 eCommerce Hubs. eBay Census also revealed export trends to 189 countries as well as import trends from 120 countries.
A very comprehensive search, the eBay Census 2011 shows that India’s Top 5 eCommerce Hubs are Delhi, closely followed by Mumbai, Bengaluru, Jaipur & Chennai. Some facts revealed by the census are –
- Online Shopping is mainstream & a nationwide phenomenon: India had over 3,311 eCommerce Hubs from all 28 States and 7 Union Territories. The Top 5 States with the most transactions were Maharashtra, Delhi, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka & Andhra Pradesh.
- Consumers & Entrepreneurs from Rural India are increasingly plugged into eCommerce: Over 1,267 Rural Hubs are transacting online with 1 out of every 10 purchases from Rural India as well as 1 out of every 20 sales from Rural India.
- Metros (India) have a dominant share of purchases, with Tier 2 & 3 cities (Bharat) catching up fast: Metros (India) contributes 51% of all eCommerce Transactions while Tier 2&3 Cities (Bharat) contribute about 40% of transactions & Rural India contributing to 9% of transactions.
- Online Indians are brand savvy: eBay Census Top 5 Brand Rankings revealed Sony as the largest brand on eBay followed by Nokia, Samsung, Apple & Reebok.
- Women Shoppers are increasingly addicted to shopping online: Women shoppers are buying cosmetics, jewellery, watches, fashion & fitness equipment online. Over 45% of all purchases are in the Lifestyle category.
- Electronic gadgets continue to rule the online shopper’s wallet: Gadgets continue to be the most popular choice & contribute to 50% of all purchases.
- Indian Retail Exports accelerating rapidly & export to 189 countries worldwide: Indian entrepreneur export a variety of products to millions of eBayers in 189 countries around the globe. The Top 5 Countries Indians export to are United States, United Kingdom, Australia, Canada & Germany.
eBay India have also introduced Group Buying space in India which was assumed one of the biggest news of this year. It also forayed into mCommerce, iPhone App for Indian consumers, and it also acquired one of the eCommerce giant called Magento. Just few months back, eBay took over Zong with USD of 240 Million connectiong with more than 250 mobile network operators worldwide
eBay Census 2011 research findings were based on an analysis of all online buying and selling transactions by Indians on eBay between July 1, 2010 and June 30, 2011. eBay India analysed eBay transactions over a year within the individual Indian States & Union Territories as well as the key Indian cities to identify the top Buying and Selling Hubs based on the number of transactions that have happened on the eBay India site.
In addition, retail export transactions & retail import transactions between global eBayers and Indian eBayers were analysed. Interesting fun facts, unique purchases, local, national and global trends all come to light in eBay India Census 2011.
For your own free copy of the eBay Census Guide with more India facts, please log onto www.eBay.in/ census.