Lets begin with a small but relevant data; India had only 25,000 Internet users back in 1998. Yes, its true. It is difficult to believe the data today keeping in mind the growth India has achieved in the last decade and a half with currently 100 million Internet users. Infact, the growth has doubled in the last 5 years from a mere 42 million in 2007. And this is just the beginning as the penetration is still only a mere 8.5% compared to the high penetration rates across other countries.
The core reason behind such an astronomical growth of Internet users is mainly Social Media, which constitutes as the primary reason of internet surfing of almost 1/4 of the current Internet users. Five years ago, the word Social Media was not at all synonymous with the masses. If you consider the current scenario, Social Media is nothing short os a revolution in itself. The following are some interesting facts about the Indian Social Media Landscape to prove the same:
- More than 30 million Online Indians are on Social Networking sites out of which 20 million users come online once in a day
- Checking social networking sites accounts for more time than checking emails in India
- 45,000 is the number of daily increase in users on social networking sites in India
- 67% of Indians who are on the web use online reviews to help them make purchases
- Social Media in India is growing at 100% and is likely to touch 45 million users by 2012
- 60% Indians who are social media users are open to being approached by brands
- 13 million Indians use Social Media to research their prospective partners for wedding arrangements
- Out of the 37 million people who check reviews online, 15 million do ther searches through Social Media
- 57% online consumers are open to receive brand related information
- 75% of social media users wants to get some prizes for their time that they invest
- 10 million people are aware of the fact that brands do exist on Social Media
- Facebook is the top Social Network in India with more than 32 million registered users
- Facebook grew by 50% in its user base in the last six months
- India is the 3rd largest country in terms of number os Facebook users after US & Indonesia
- Linkedin has more than 9 million users. Hiring of around 35% of the people from the 20 million searching for jobs online is expected to be done via Linkedin and similar sites
- In the coming six months, an addition of 25,000 new users per day is expected on the current 9 million users on twitter in India
- There are more than 150 Fan pages on Facebook consisting of more than 100,000 Fans
- The most subscribed and active age group on Social Media is between the age of 18-24 years
These figures don’t only justify the fact that Social Media is growing but also explains reasons brands should consider this medium as one of the most important one. Users as well as brands are on this medium to connect & converse. The WOW factor is the quick and effective two way communication that a brand has with its customer. With the advancements going on in this industry there is enough room for all the brands to explore and experiment with their communication online. Only time will tell how effective brands are able to use this revolution that Social Media is in India.
Do you think that Social Media websites are slowly changing the way companies communicate with consumers? Let us know.