Social Media in India is growing by leaps and bounds but till date there was no definitive research that tracked this growth. But now The Nielsen Company conducted in collaboration with AbsolutData a report on social media in India.
The findings of the report are as follows:
- 30 million Indians who are online consumers are members of social networking sites
- 20 million of these spend time on social networking sites daily
- Indians spend more time on social media than they do checking personal email
- Over the next six months 45,000 online Indians intend to join social networking sites each day
- 1/4th of online Indians were able to recall brands using social media
- Having a social media presence connotes ‘innovation’ ‘customer friendliness’ and a sense of ‘cool’
- Nearly 40 million Indians are using online reviews to inform purchase decisions
- 67 percent of Indians who are on the web use online reviews to help them make purchases
- 60 percent Indians who are social media users are open to being approached by brands
Now the big statistic -> Social Media in India is growing at 100 percent and is likely to touch 45 million users by 2012
Its clear that social media is going to be a growth driver for digital media and marketing in India. Currently there are no numbers as to how big this industry actually is but as per my discussions with Industry folks most peg it close to 10% of digital media spends right now which would mean about 100 crore in size. This is definitely going to grow by multiples in the days ahead.
What is your take on social media? Is it a bubble or will it grow?