The other interesting sessions in the Digital Vidya bootcamp included “SMM Application: community building”. Here are some insights from the same.
Why one would want to build a community?
The possible reasons included
- for Online Presence - for Reach and Brand Promotion
- for Brand building
- to build an online Reputation
- for Lead generation and Sales or
- to Create a Promotional platform
A community could be targeted at either a profile,age group, gender or location but the important question in community building is “What’s in it for them, the users? “
The main reason behind a user joining a community could be
- Fun/Entertainment or to
- Support a Cause
For building a successful community – finding a correct niche users is the mantra.
Guidelines to populate the content on community included
- Be regular
- Put your content in the day time for best results
- Important content needs to be posted by Admin as it get’s more visibilty
- Be careful about the copyright issues.
- Moderate the community to maintain direction and consistency.
To promote the content on your community you should get leverage from all the following
- Content virality
- Search Engine Optimization
- Facebook applications
- Facebook fan updates and
- Offline events
The engagement in a community is achieved by any or combination of humor, debate and conflicts, breaking news, unique information etc. One could measure the success of a SMM campaign from the stats of fan/follower growth over the duration, interaction and post quality, media consumption and page views.
Disclosure: WATBlog has a sister concern in WATConsult which is full service Social Media Agency working with several large brands.