Airtel Broadband Does A Facebook Gaffe – Changes Policy Causes User Petition

Airtel Broadband an ISP having millions of customers has done a repeat of what facebook did recently with its terms of use policy. Apparently Airtel has made changes to its ‘Fair Usage Policy‘ and included a clause due to which a “cap” shall be placed on ‘unlimited’ plans after which a subscriber’s speed would be halved/reduced for the rest of the billing period.

Now just like the facebook uproar this bit of change in the policy has been noticed by some users and a online petition of sorts has been created at a Broadband Forum. Have a look here to see the number of people who have signed up for the petition.

Even bloggers are blogging about the same, commenting on blogs and conversing on twitter as well. This points towards an era of user driven protests via the online medium. Such protests were next to impossible in an offline world but with social media rising in India this is becoming a norm. Similar strategy was adopted by the Pink Chaddi campaigners who garnered support online.

I think given the facebook example the guys at Airtel would do well to respond to this rising concern by their users sooner rather than later.

8 Responses to “Airtel Broadband Does A Facebook Gaffe – Changes Policy Causes User Petition”

1. Sidharth
    March 4, 2009 at 10:06 am #

As it is the speeds are crappy and they want to reduce that further. Are we going back to the Dial-Up age ?

2. Aradhana
    March 4, 2009 at 11:28 am #

i have had an airtel broad band subscription and face no problems. i work with an internet company & watch videos, download legal software etc etc. I do not download any illegal stuff from the net and i have never reached the airtel limit. yes i spen 599 rs to buy a dvd and i still buy cds of latest songs.
    you gotto understand…this is how spam works. If a small 1% of users is consuming 80% of bandwith…they are obviously downloading movies/ songs which many do. I think they should pay for the bandwith they are using or not get the same privileges and the rest do.
    I suggest go try all the ISPs and you will come back to airtel.

3. March 4, 2009 at 3:36 pm #

I have moved to another place and was contemplating getting an Airtel connection ( I had Youtelecom earlier),with Airtel’s FUP Now I have second thoughts.

4. March 4, 2009 at 9:03 pm #

Aradhana: The users paid for an *unlimited* broadband connection and I’m sure we all know what that word means. We chose that plan for that particular word. And, that choice could be for many other things besides what you so easily club as ‘downloading movies/ songs’. Take a look at the anti-AFUP petition again to see a list of other things that require a truly unlimited connection.

I’ve tried 5 other ISPs before choosing Airtel, 4 years back. I’ve been one of their most vocal supporter – they are still the best, in my opinion. Unfortunately that has just gone into their heads. They need to listen to their customers and bow down – they are NOT above their customers. No business can afford to be.

5. siju
    March 5, 2009 at 11:52 am #

I have a Tata Indicom broadband connection. Do they also have a Similar Policy? Please advise

6. Aradhana
    March 5, 2009 at 11:58 am #

kartik – have you faced a problem with speed as yet? I doubt it. This is the 1st time i heard of the fair usage policy and am not surprised that it has not affected me.
    like the said the key is in spam – if 1% of users are using 80% of bandwidth – its easy to identify those guys…the rest 99% of users will not even know!

7. March 6, 2009 at 9:11 am #

@siju: Yes its does. Apparently they are also facing a backlash.

8. March 8, 2009 at 10:48 pm #

They sent me a letter today about this FUP.

Soon my speed will be halved.

God save Indian Broadband users!