There are a lot many of us who either hate or do not even know how to set up RSS feeds. A lot many people prefer content updates to be delivered right to their email addresses. A friend of mine satisfies most of his internet needs at the expense of his working hours but since he cannot access most of the news and blog pages in office, he fails to remain updated on our college community blog. Although he has subscribed to a few blogs (WATBlog is one of them) via email newsletters and routed them to his official email id, not every site offers the option of email subscriptions.
Sometimes, even a few pros keep wondering how to receive a few updates in their inboxes. Allow me to give you an example. Mr Rajiv Dingra had recently configured WATBlog as such so that every comment gets emailed to me (being the WATEditor) right away and I can respond to them swiftly. Now, the problem was, every single comment, including the really spammy ones, used to make way to my inbox; and owing to WATBlog’s popularity, one can only imagine how my inbox might have looked, every morning. So, all I did was subscribe to the comments that actually get posted on the blog and configure them to automatically get emailed to my inbox.
How did I do it? Well, that is what this post is all about, my friend!:-)
- First, you need to figure out the RSS Feed (or a combination of them) that you wish to track. For the purpose of this tutorial, I choose the comments feed of WATBlog (http://www.watblog.com/comments/feed/).
- Visit the homepage of FeedBlitz, scroll to the bottom and paste the RSS feed in the text box. Click on Subscribe. (Refer to the figure below for illustration)
- Next, input your email address, choose the service through which you wish to receive updates. You can choose Tweets, Skype IM, MSN Messenger and a lot more, other than email.
- Fill up the captcha form and click on Subscribe Me.
- You should be presented with a message that says, “Your subscription must be activated. An email with an activation link has just been sent to you.“
- Check your email & click on the activation link.
- Voila! Your email has now been configured to receive updates from your favorite websites. It is also a very easy way to keep track of stock market rates, cricket scores and of course, latest updates on WATBlog.
Hope this little tutorial helped make your life a little easier. Do let us know is there is anything else on the web-o-sphere that you might need help with. We shall try to return with a solution very soon.