9 Responses to “How Will Rural India Deal With Social Networking?”

1. February 29, 2008 at 3:38 pm #

Internet for rural population is too far ahead to make any meaningful predictions.

Instead you should try to see the impact of mobile phones on the rural india. Check this article for inputs http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/25/international/africa/25africa.html

just a thought.

2. March 1, 2008 at 12:47 am #

Ever heard of the term “heuristics” short form “H”?
    Many “marketeers”(my H), tend to believe or assume a lot of things because of your H.

When it’s difficult to even bring the young population which should be school going …just till the school … your Hs based article “seems” (my H2) practical but farfetched.(as rightly pointed towards end)

Convincing large enterprise sized organizations itself becomes a challenge because of Old jokers sitting in key positions that rural population with least education level…just another 15 years away.

3. March 3, 2008 at 11:40 am #

Very good post, Harshil.
    Thanx for touching upon this topic. We need to do more on this.

I agree with most of the points put forward by you.

4. Pooja
    March 13, 2008 at 4:50 pm #

Nice informative article.

5. March 17, 2008 at 5:02 pm #

Interesting article. Social networking is largely a urban phenomenon… here again, as your blogs have pointed out in the past, the networking is mostly limited to known individuals unlike in western countries…

The social networking in India will morph to utility networking…How many times have you picked a phone and sought information from your friends, mom, brothers, sisters…about a product, service, movie, another relative (gossip)…

my 2 cents…

6. Alvin Leung
    April 15, 2008 at 10:20 pm #

Can you tell us the name of the book you were reading that you alluded to at the start of your article?

7. April 16, 2008 at 10:34 am #

I will have to go to the library and find out. It might take a couple of days. But its a brilliant book. A lot of fascinating examples with respect to selling products and identifying the needs of rural consumers. It also has some startling figures which bring forth great insights. I’ll definitely try and get to the library this week and find out the name of that book. If i forget please remind me :)

8. isha
    June 16, 2008 at 12:19 pm #

can someone also touch upon the thought that the migrants from rural india to urban india may influence the buying decisions of the people in their hometowns?

can someone help me with a kind of questionnaire i wil have to prepare to ask these influencers (migrants)?

9. Shashi Sastry
    July 14, 2008 at 9:48 am #

I agree on some of the comments by folks that there is a wide difference between rural and Urban populace. Howvever this is an excellent opportunity to pilot a few villages – even if one or two in each zone