Now Women Meow On FM Radio!

I noticed this CATchy advertisement on BEST buses (almost all BEST buses):- “Meow FM 104.8 – India’s First Just-For-women Radio Station”. This clearly caught my attention (I guess many others as well). This is called “Kill two birds with one stone” strategy – Obviously, women will tune into and men too will follow to check what women gossip.

Meow FM 104.8

Apart from the sound made by a cat, I couldn’t understand the logic behind the name MEOW. But, interestingly noticed one thing i.e. the word MEOW, if you take two alphabets from the end and two from the beginning, it makes WOME(n missing).

When I tuned into the radio station, found that programs were basically women oriented and show hosts were greeting with the word “Meow” instead of “Hi, Hello”. I personally found it very irritating. Even the background score was not up to the mark.

Later on, when I logged onto their official website, found that most of the sections are still under development phase. Good to see that they will provide an option for live audio streaming. Why don’t other radio stations learn this? On a different note, Why don’t radio stations tie-up with cellular operators for providing radio stream as caller tunes instead of the chosen static songs! It will also measure the popularity of that radio station.

Well, such aggressive advertising & Meow FM’s tag line is enough to draw first time listeners, but returning audience require improvement in content. To make the context little bit lighter, soon a rival radio station will be launched with punch line – “Only for Men“. Guess the name of the radio station – Yes it would be “Bow-Wow“. You know why?? Because women always say “Men are dogs“!

36 Responses to “Now Women Meow On FM Radio!”

1. puneet r
    February 25, 2008 at 7:13 pm #

Its a good idea to launch segment specific entertainment.Many cos. are tapping this type of niche like Hul,idea,hero honda etc.

2. avinash m
    February 26, 2008 at 7:25 pm #

i would appreciate the way u analysed MEOW as WOME(n) and the strategy behind this FM.

3. February 27, 2008 at 11:34 am #

@Puneet,
    But, the question is how long will they stick to the same formula…?
    you might be knowing that Raymonds whose tag line is “The Complete Man” is no longer for just Men… They too entered into the women section after breaking the image of “men only”…!!
    @Avinash,
    Thanks that you liked it.. though it was just a coincidence.. ;-)

4. February 27, 2008 at 1:16 pm #

The BIG question is “Can you ever connect to the radio station to gossip”?
    Coz as far as i know, once girls start talking (or gossiping for a better definition), they just dont stop (local or std dont matter!).
    So, to effectively run this station, just ask them to make sure they have that number of parallel connection to support!!
    And about the live audio streaming, not sure how much time will it take to stream, coz i know the data is going to be in GB’s!! :)

Sorry girls!

5. February 27, 2008 at 1:22 pm #

Well, I do not have any GF except my blog… (all hot babes note this OK..), so don’t have any idea of girlie talks that you had experienced…
    And about streaming, I said it’s gonna be LIVE stream, so no question of storing it… it will be for that time being only… i hope you understand the thing…!!

6. February 27, 2008 at 1:25 pm #

Well, for me luckily i dont have that experience either (and BTW, you dont need to have a GF to have that experience).
    And about the streaming part, yes i know what it means, but i assume you also know what it means by streaming a GB of data?

7. February 27, 2008 at 3:20 pm #

Shut up Lui and Chris. Meoww rocks!! :-)
    and btw, dont login to a all-women radio station ans complain about ‘girlie talks’ and ‘gossips’ if you dont want to hear it. Its like going to a desert and complaining that there’s no water. and when it comes to ‘gossiping’, i think men gossip more and smartly disguise it as ‘guy talks’.
    One potential defect that I did find in meow apart from the ones you already talked about (no, i am not talking about the streaming the GB issue chris.. it would have been a Gb streaming error had it been a radio station airing your poor jokes), was that everything was total pink.. a woman can have many colors and persona.. so sticking to the typical ‘pinky girly’ image would not make them an ‘all woman’ channel, or whatever they are out to promote. they should be doing more surveys to get the most out of this unique idea.
    btw, rupesh liked your meow/women analogy :-)

8. February 27, 2008 at 6:14 pm #

@Chris,
    It is multicasting not unicasting. The only concern will be how much bandwidth the server can serve?
    Yes, of course it will increase the internet bill of listener if s/he does not have an unlimited download plan.

9. SUDIPTA DAS
    March 5, 2008 at 11:50 pm #

I completely agree with the blogger who has written his irritation about the “meow” salutation instead of traditional “hi” or “helo”. Be it for women or men, I think that is another issue but no such gender biased or discriminated term should be used if it is targeted to that at all in any means. Anything on cyber or virtual world should be universal and should cater for all. If cat or feline category is amalgamated with womenfolk at any stage yet the salutation must be changed. It sounds bizzare when an aged lady calls to share something but before everything she is supposed to utter a queer “meow”. At least my mother who is aged 65, has expressed her annoyance about it. I am sorry if I have hurted someone but I have only written what comes to my mind. That’s all.

10. Rupesh Mandal
    March 6, 2008 at 8:13 pm #

Yes Sudipta,
    Even that’s why may be Raymonds entered into Female section too…!!

11. sudipta das
    March 7, 2008 at 11:16 pm #

Just obnoxious!!!!!

12. Priya
    March 10, 2008 at 11:48 am #

Well, the fact that this radio station meant to target women only have got all of you talking so much is proof enough of how well their marketing strategy is working. What’s even better is that most of the comments are quite stron- either people are loving it or are hating it :) So all in all the meow FM guys have hit the bulls eye in drawing everyone’s attention! when it finishes its test run in mumbai and finally launches, m sure most people will tune in. The basic concept behind meow I think is a great differenciator among all other stations.

13. March 11, 2008 at 7:10 pm #

@Priya,
    On your statement –
    “So all in all the meow FM guys have hit the bulls eye in drawing everyone’s attention” guys??
    The radio show is all about women… what are the guys doing there…?? ;-)

14. raj
    March 29, 2008 at 1:23 pm #

with this fm radio station exclusively for women and that too not allowing men to participate in most of the prog’s
    it seems women still serching for their identiy…
    be open minded and let men also come and share their thoughts on issues related to women exclusively

15. ruchi
    April 10, 2008 at 5:35 pm #

Well all ladies & gentleman, women tune into Meow because it connects to them and men tune in because they are always inqusitive to know what women are doing-alomost like a female locker room which all men want to peep into. So guys tune in, you might just know the fairer sex a little better coz they do much more than gossip about BF’s or lipsticks or shoes……..

16. May 17, 2008 at 6:17 pm #

well,i simply dont like the ”meow” salutation.irritable as ever.

17. vipul
    May 22, 2008 at 2:18 pm #

well people u say any thimg but we r connected 2gether by Music!!!!!!!!!!!!! so just sitback and enjoy boys and girls 2gether……….THE MUSIC

18. Jeet Bodinge
    May 29, 2008 at 2:46 pm #

hiii ..recently i started to listening to MEOW FM its very nice.im also radio proffetional…i would realy love to work for ur station. if u want i can sent my cv to u..

thanks

19. sheetal
    June 20, 2008 at 2:02 pm #

I think the RJ trying to laugh or make a joke about sum of the points victims brought out in the open, while talking about rape was quite insensitive.

20. Troilus Baptista
    July 21, 2008 at 9:21 pm #

Hi folks,

I think you radio stations is doing a wonderful job. The topics select are amazing . To name a few : Landline versus mobile connections , 5 things like to do without your partner , Unique names , Quality time .

Well all in a nutshell the topics ring a bell in your mind and get you thinking. Hope u continue doing the good job. My wife loves your station her name is Melissa . Wish u all the best/

21. Andy
    July 30, 2008 at 1:53 pm #

I personally think it Sucks. Woman issues, woman topics, woman problems, woman relationship enough….get out o it..
    i listen to only int’l tracks that are played @nite but even they are marinated by talks like ” do u think unconditional love exists” and only women can call and say ” yes, only a woman can love unconditionally” can u beat it..
    last nite i was listening to one such crappy discussions & the Rj says “men have the same addictions, cigarettes, alcohol and women; but we women have so many” it reminded me of Sushma Swaraj, who pulled of a Mala-D ad from DD coz her daughter thought those were candies..

I’d ( i am sure all male population) would have been much proud if the station were to fully run by women and a male opinion is also welcomed..untill that fantasy comes true it’ll continue to suck… always

22. July 31, 2008 at 11:11 pm #

@Andy
    I dont listen to tht station… but once in a while i have tuned in there…and there are male callers also…!!!

23. Andy
    August 1, 2008 at 7:42 pm #

@ sakshi

Buddy, good that u dont listen to that station.. but when i use to i knew the drill.. usually there is a show @ 5-8 evening everyday where the guys can call.. apart from that they are just not allowed except on weekends.
    See, I dont have a problem with only the gals talking but hey u must not just produce stuffs from your thought.. ie girls saying that guys only think about sex without letting a fair opportunity to a guy to come on air and defend the statement, partially its true but we dont Only think about sex..its like saying Gals only think about shopping!!! well.. is it true?? :)

24. archana
    August 21, 2008 at 10:57 am #

hey
    why are you stuck to one point only.leave guys, talk on other topics too.

25. priyanka
    August 25, 2008 at 10:22 am #

r men jealous that we have an exclusive space of our own?

26. Priti Shetty
    August 29, 2008 at 8:33 am #

hii ppl…i hv just started hearing meow channel from three days and i felt quite diffrent than any other channel the only reason is they talk about some real things happening in this so called “Happening City”……..Hv a gr8 day ppl [:)]

27. September 2, 2008 at 11:16 am #

You might be interested in this comic about female radio channels in India then… :-)

28. Indrabati
    September 4, 2008 at 2:39 pm #

Meow simply rocks man!!!!!my favourite is Anil and Anita. Anil’s voice is absolutely fabulous!!!!!

29. September 12, 2008 at 9:20 pm #

I am a regular listener of Meow FM, thanks a lot for the Special Topics highlighted on each programs, which may solve many problems of Ur L I F E. ……………….. UR GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR—–8

30. BaijuMenon
    October 23, 2008 at 10:24 am #

It is not about Men jealous about Women as some women think. I’m a regular listener of this Meow FM. One lady caller wanted to fix an appointment with Anil without informing her husband & one lady caller was too drunk and Anil had to disconnect her call last night and i can give so many other examples of these kind of callers. A space for your own is ok but pls dont misuse it.

31. Hem
    October 23, 2008 at 11:52 am #

Some shows are very much informative (Kiran bedi’s show )& some really sucks with irrelevant talks(just plain gossips).Though I’m not an avid listener but I think men also participate there but the strength is less.

I agree with one blogger that it is all about MARKETING,at the end they are just doing there jobs getting high TRP

32. November 20, 2008 at 3:38 am #

Hi,

Meow have a very strong base, every one will definitely like to lesion it bcoz there are to main genders B & G, girls used to say much more and more and boys like to know much more about girls. So Meow has good Future. I like meow very much.

33. Savita Cariappa
    October 28, 2009 at 9:26 pm #

Hi Ved,(Meow Zindagi)

My Husband D.M. Cariappa, won a goodie bag on 20th Oct. 09 in a contest of Meow Zindagi. But we have still not received the same. Pls confirm when will we receive the same.

34. January 7, 2010 at 4:30 pm #

i am your listner from 27 december your show is great and your style to control your emotio when anyone praising you is very impressed me
    i from Pakistan

35. shreya
    February 3, 2010 at 11:00 pm #

i don’t know abt other cities but in jodhpur they started to take male callers as well as girls caller…
    i luv this station not bcoz i m a girl but its each topic is very relevent 2 ur life.the concept of meow was 2 gud just 4 women.as one of my frnd said that girls n boys both r intrested bcoz of its teg line n our above conversation shows its success……

36. May 15, 2010 at 10:27 pm #

Hi..Im not sure if you are aware. As per TRAI rules, live streaming of FM is not allowed in India. I have been interning in a FM station and I have been following this. I think this diversification is a good sign, portending the good things to follow once the Phase III is launched.